The 2012 Kavli Prize
On Tuesday His Majesty King Harald presented the 2012 Kavli Prize for outstanding research in the fields of astrophysics, nanoscience and neuroscience.
In line with previous years, the awards ceremony was part of a gala event held at Oslo Concert Hall with former Minister of Culture and singer Åse Kleveland and US actor Alan Alda as Masters of Ceremonies. The opening remarks were given by Nils Christian Stenseth, president of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
His Majesty presented the following Kavli Prizes:
- The Kavli Prize in Astrophysics was awarded to David C. Jewitt, Jane X. Luu, and Michael E. Brown for discovering and characterising the Kuiper Belt and its largest members, work that led to a major advance in the understanding of the history of our planetary system.
- The Kavli Prize in Nanoscience went to Mildred S. Dresselhaus for her pioneering contributions to the study of phonons, electron-phonon interactions, and thermal transport in nanostructures.
- The Kavli Prize in Neuroscience was awarded to Cornelia Isabella Bargmann, Winfried Denk and Ann M. Graybiel for elucidating basic neuronal mechanisms underlying perception and decision.
Each Kavli Prize consists of USD 1 million, a scroll and a gold medal for each scientific field.
Promoting and recognising scientific achievement
The Kavli Prize was established to:
- Recognise outstanding scientific research
- Honour highly creative scientists
- Promote public understanding of scientists and their work
- Foster international cooperation among scientists
The Kavli Prize was awarded for the first time in 2008 and is awarded every second year in partnership between the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, the Kavli Foundation (US) and the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research.
On Tuesday evening King Harald attended the official banquet held in honour of the Kavli Prize laureates.
Congratulations are presented from His Majesty King Harald to the President of South Africa, His Exellency Mr Cyril Ramaphosa.
Congratulations are presented from His Majesty King Harald to the President of Ukraine, His Exellency Mr Volodymyr Zelensky.