Her Majesty The Queen in Egypt
Her Majesty Queen Sonja was on an official visit to Egypt to participate in the conclusion of the Ibsen Year and to attend a performance of “Peer Gynt” in Giza.
The official programme:
- The Queen arrived at the Citadel and visited the Mohammad Ali Mosque, where she was received by Egyptian archaeologist Abdallah Attar and Mrs Iman Abdou
- The Queen visited the Coptic Museum, where she was received by Museum Director Philip Faltas
- The Queen visited El-Muallaqa, known as the “Hanging Church”
- Reception at the ambassador’s residence; the Queen met Norwegian students and Egyptian alumni who have studied in Norway
- The Queen visited the Supreme Council of Culture (SCC) and was received by Minister of Culture Farouk Hosni and SCC Secretary General Gaber Asfour
- Opening of the Ibsen seminar: “Ibsen between the Orient and the Occident’’
- The Queen attended the performance of “Peer Gynt” staged at the base of the Sphinx in Giza
- The Queen visited the Pyramid of Cheops and was received by Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Dr. Zahi Hawass for a guided tour of the pyramid plateau
- The Queen visited the Egyptian Museum and was given a guided tour by Museum Director Wafaa Tahaa.
- The Queen visited the Library of Alexandria and was received by Library Director Dr. Ismail Serageldin
- Opening of the sculpture exhibition “Ibsen’s Women” by Head of the National Library of Norway Vigdis Moe Skarstein
- The Queen unveiled the bust of Henrik Ibsen
The official visit was concluded on Sunday, 29 October 2006.
Condolences from His Majesty King Harald to His Holiness Pope Francis.
Congratulations from His Majesty King Harald to the new President of the Federative Republic of Brazil, His Excellency Mr Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.