The ponds in the Palace Park
The three ponds were key elements in the Palace Park when the park’s Romantic landscape was designed. Today the ponds serve as beautiful focal points within the park.
Trees whose branches reach out over the water, ducklings, the sound of trickling water that keeps the buzz of cars and street life at bay... The ponds play an important part in creating the park’s peaceful atmosphere.
Construction of the ponds was a laborious task at the time, lasting over several years. The pond beds were dug out by hand, and clay was used to seal both the bottom and the sides. Work began around 1840, but it was not completed before 1857-1860 after the shape had been adjusted several times.
The two largest ponds in the park – linked together today by a small stream – have remained unchanged since then. They are located in the Queen’s Park and have been named the Queen’s Pond and the King’s Mirror.
The Ice Pond
A third pond was built at the corner of Parkveien and Wergelandsveien . During the winter, ice was cut from this pond for use in the Palace ice cellar and the breweries on Pilestredet.
The ice pond was drained at the end of the 1800s, but in 1998 restoration efforts to recreate it began. It was decided to change the shape of the pond and build a small bridge. In recent years a beautiful bed of perennials has been planted around its perimeter, and a small foundation has been added.
The pond is called, naturally, the Ice Pond, in memory of its use in earlier times.